Help - part of my print is all over the hot end!

So I was printing another bike (I'm big on bikes at the moment if you haven't read up on it so far) and I swear I had just turned my back on the latest bike print for just five minutes, only to return to find the printed bike ripped off the base plate and suspended in the air, the top melted into the hot end. And while I could (and had to) snap things off to get them free, it left an annoying dried filament blob to deal with.



Not my first and undoubtedly far from my last, luckily this is easily fixed in under 10 minutes and just requires a couple of button pushes and a handy scraper tool.



Before we get into the easy steps, check out the headless biker. Strangely the print wasn't even finished before my Ender decided it was and retracting the hot end lifted the entire piece up and off the plate. Good for parts now? 
Maybe?

HOW TO CLEAR OFF DRIED FILAMENT ON A ENDER 3 3D PRINTER HOT END

And while I shouldn't have to issue a warning here (if you have a 3d printer you already know how hot these things can get to) I still will, for the sake of good will and fair warning.

Things will get hot here. And if you touch hot things with bare flesh, pain will occur. Therefore I highly suggest you don't touch hot things with bare flesh and use a tool instead.
To put this into takeaway coffee langauge: 
CAUTION: CONTENTS MAY WILL DEFINITELY BE HOT.

Firstly remove (if it's still there) the silicone/rubber coating around the hot end assembly. 

Then preheat the hot end. You'll find the option to do this via:




Since we're only working with clearing the hot end here, there's no need to heat up the bed


Then scroll down and select PLA.

Once that's done, go and do something else for five minutes to allow your hot end to get to temp (in my case 190 degrees) and the surrounding material to become very pliable. After that it's a case of scraping it off with the tool chosen:


And watching it slide away easily or even drop straight onto the plate. In my case it slid away enough to pull it off with my fingers (keeping them away from the super hot parts of course!)


Check all sides of the brass tip for anything else you may need to scrape off, let it cool down again before putting the cover back on and with a bit of luck, you can print again.


WHAT TO DO IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN THOUGH?

If it happens with the same print, it may be the file itself causing the dramas.

If you're getting the same problem with all prints, there's something going on with your brass end. Either it's not screwed in enough causing filament to be pushed through the joins or it's time for the bin. Luckily replacement tips are very cheap and replacing them is easy (just remember to heat it up to working temperature before you try to unscrew the old one - trying it cold will break more than just the hot end..)

Comments

Popular Posts