Terrain: Ancient Gong

 


Bang a gong, we now have a...well a gong. Not that my first bit of terrain/scenery wanted to come out easily of course...

Yeah this one had a few problems, namely not sticking to the bed. And with that I learned the hard way that when small prints start to do this, it's best to scrap them and start again.

When the edges start to peel like this, it's best to stop and try again on a different part of the bed

Things did not look pretty when we finally got to the end of the print time. It started to look like it'd spent quite a lot of time down the bottom of an ocean somewhere..


Of course I tried to salvage this twisted and warped little project, using the only clamps I had on hand to hold things down in place while the superglue did its work. But there's only so much you can do before you decide that it's really not worth the effort..


So eventually I gave up and it hit the bin before I tried again, moving the print location to a part of the bed I know is sticking well. I also took off the supports because that gong striker is so small and thin, adding supports that you have to remove later increases the risk of breaking it. If your bed is level then this project will print quite easily without them.


While painting it was easy (I'm really starting to like Game Color Parasite Brown by Vallejo, it's a great wooden/leather looking color) threading the gong itself proved quite the challenge, especially since I'd managed to paint right over the tiny printed holes. After trying for a while to push a tiny thread through it, I gave up and opened up the holes instead with a drill and the smallest bit I had, 1.5mm.


This made things much easier. Until I realised I probably shouldn't have glued the two halves of the gong structure together before sticking the rope in. Nothing prying things open with a screwdriver couldn't handle thankfully and with a bit more glue (and paint) the ancient gong is both standing and hanging in place!


I'm still yet to finish off and paint the striker but this looks awesome so far with the Samurai pair from earlier. Now to find some stone lanterns and perhaps a printable temple to complete the set!



WHERE TO GET IT

28MM Gong by Curufin: Thingiverse

Comments

Popular Posts