Gift: Articulated Shark

 My brother is a big fan of sharks. So let's send him one!


Now up until recently, I had no idea he loved sharks. No seriously, not an iota. But thankfully he has a beautiful Instagram account displaying all of his amazing artwork (he's a designer by trade) and I got a learning experience on how much he adores these magnificent beasts: 


I too enjoy the occasional shark, provided it comes with both chips and potato cakes. But anyway, when searching for something kitchy to send him courtesy of the Ender 3, it was either a bit of printed skirting board (hilarious but boring) or an articulated shark! (I mean why not?)

Originally I'd scaled the design down to 60% but my wife saw what I was doing and intervened, telling me it was going to be a full size shark on it's way to the next state over or no shark at all. So I started humming the Jaws theme and got to work, setting Sharky to Dynamic Quality and hoping things went to plan for the next six and a half hours. 

In the end it should look like this: 


 Only mine will be in white - two reasons mainly, 1) The other colors of PLA+ I've ordered haven't arrived yet and 2) in the end I'll have printed....wait for it....wait for it....

...a great white shark!

Clever hey? Okay, I'll get my hat and coat. Thank the waitress on my behalf.

HOW'D WE GO?


Print in progress, 15cm of articulated printed shark coming, standby!


Even on his printed raft he looks great, like some kind of exotic shark sushi platter ready to serve. However a few seconds separating the raft from Sharky and he really comes alive.


I'm seriously impressed by the fact that it prints as one but all parts move freely. That's some incredible design work with the linkage there and such an easy print and forget project. Even his mouth opens!


Now to pop him in the post and send my brother a random shark related surprise!

UPDATE

He loved it! My little nephew though has started calling it 'Ouchie dinosaur' and also 'Moon Shark' on account of the crescent moon tail. One day I'll print up his very own Ouchie Dinosaur to have in his room :) 

WHERE TO GET IT?

Cults3d - Articulated Shark

Comments

Popular Posts