Design: Doon's Baublemaker 2000

Wait, I finally actually designed something???

Well yes, it seems strangely I have (and here I figured my first every design would be a miniature of some description...)

My wife likes to make and design baubles a few months out from Xmas and was looking for some kind of stand we could make that could hold a bauble in place while she put her vinyl on courtesy of her Criqet machine. Something that would keep it in place so she could use two hands to apply the decals without it spinning off into the sunset.  

And so I fired up Tinkercad and got to work, learning all about turning shapes from solids into negative spaces, grouping things together and sizing things up and down as needed. First design was as such: 


Which apart from looking like a pretty cheap ashtray came out okay but she was keen on a back wall scenario so she could work on the decals on an angle. So out came more shapes and some more negative space, until this formed. 


It gets its first print today so more pics of the final prototype (as well as details about what I may need to improve for next time) coming soon!

UPDATE

When I came home to it printing at first I thought I'd positioned the bauble seat a little off centre, forgetting I was looking at it from the side instead of the front. Going well so far!


SO DID IT WORK?

Hilariously, yes!



However after a bit of use my wife reckons the top of the bauble needs to be a angled a bit higher because when it sits on the table, she has to lean over it to apply her decals. Still, not a bad effort for a working prototype!



Comments

Popular Posts